People and Perspectives from Miles City's past

25 YEARS AGO (1993)

The Miles City Flight Service Station at Frank Wiley Field will close down at 2 p.m. March 3. “That’s cast in stone,” said Manager John Maxwell, adding that all the equipment that makes it a flight service station will be removed by the following day.

Lyle Carr, who has been in Miles City for eight years, is leaving the Federal Aviation Administration after 36 years. Miles City, he says, is too nice a town to uproot from for an extra four years with the FAA. So Carr will head up the weather information gathering program that replaces one function the Flight Service Station confirmed. As the local branch of Weather Data Services of Garner, Iowa, employees will take weather readings and call the Great Falls FFA hub station every hour to report.

An interim executive director for the Miles City Area Chamber of Commerce will be hired, Jim Welch, chamber president-elect, said today. A search committee consisting of Jim Barutha of Kmart, Bob Nystuen of First Bank, Miles City, Marcie McFarland of Shore’s, and Michelle Simpson of the Custer’s Inn will be in charge of the process.

School officials presented a list of possible cuts that may have to be made if state funding is cut by $400,000 as the Legislature is considering.

50 YEARS AGO (1968)

A total of .09 inch of precipitation fell last night in the form of an inch of snow, plus rain, freezing rain, sleet, and there was also some fog in the area.

The first of five Montana hearings on the Northern Pacific’s petition to discontinue the Mainstreeter was held at the Elks lodge Monday with Willard Goheen, examiner for the Interstate Commerce Commission, presiding. About 40 persons from Miles City, Glendive, Sidney, Terry and Forsyth attended the hearing.

A caucus to nominate members to the elementary school board was held Monday night and four persons were nominated. They were Dr. Lewis Bock, Ross Erickson, and Mrs. Edwin Stickney for three-year terms and Lee Laitala, for the 2-year unexpired term of John Metropoulous. There were 57 registered voters at the caucus held at Washington School.

Approximately 500 farmers and ranchers from throughout eastern Montana braved a snow storm to attend the first annual Farm-Ranch Clinic in Miles City. The keynote speaker was Lloyd Schmitt of Stanford, veteran Federal Land Bank official. The guests were hosted to a casserole lunch by the national sponsors — Allis-Chalmers, Behlen Manufacturing Co., Cominco-American Fertilizers, Dow Chemicals, Northrup King Seeds and the Peavey Co.

75 YEARS AGO (1943)

Mrs. Richard Peavy left for Minneapolis where she will join her husband who graduated Feb. 17 as an ensign from the Naval Reserve School at Columbia. Mrs. Peavy is the daughter of Judge and Mrs. S. D. McKinnon.

According to Dean Oscar Alm, CPT coordinator, there have been many questions arising as to whether Miles City will again have a CPT flying school. A class, he said, will come to Miles City during the first part of April following the completion of the hanger at the airport.

Fred Bitle brought down from his residence on North Custer Avenue a little bottle containing grasshoppers — vintage of the last several days. Fred stated that he picked up the hoppers on the south side of his house, as they were coming into action in large numbers. If it gets cold again, he remarked, they are liable to get frozen stiff.

State Agriculture Commissioner Albert H. Kruse, in a dispatch from Helena, says he has asked the Federal government to assigned interned Italian prisoners of war to Montana beet fields this year.

Clifford E. Bickle, son of Mrs. B. H. Bickle, residing in the Tongue River valley, has been promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

100 YEARS AGO (1918)

A very close and interesting checker tournament for the championship of Custer county is in progress at the Y. M. C. A. Thirteen men have entered and there is much speculation as to the best player. At present, H. D. Arkwright is in the lead but several are close and pushing him hard.

The opening sale of the Miles City Horse Sale yards was held Monday. Although the weather conditions were severe, about 350 horses went through the yards out of 500.

The bitter cold wind today made it impossible to transact business as usual.

Oscar Ball is in receipt of an interesting letter from his friend, Captain Wm. Morse, from “somewhere in France.” Bill says that he is enjoying the life immensely. He has just completed a course in a French military training school and expects to be assigned to duty as an instructor.

Maynard P. Shore, J. P. Johnson, will leave tonight for Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, where they will join the signal corps of the United States Army.

Division No. 3 of the Methodist church will serve a 25 cent six o’clock supper at the home of Mrs. L. S. Badgett Thursday afternoon. Everyone invited.