Owners of property damaged by wildfire may qualify for tax relief

Star Staff

The Montana Department of Revenue reminds Montana property owners whose homes or other property are damaged or destroyed during wildfire or other natural disaster that they can apply for property tax assistance.

“Wildfires can be devastating and we are sorry for Montanans who may lose homes and other property to the wildfires or other natural disasters,” said Shauna Helfert, Property Assessment Division administrator, Montana Department of Revenue. 

A property or land owner whose home, outbuildings or forest land are partially or totally destroyed by the natural disaster, making the property unsuitable for its previous use, may be eligible, according to a news release from the Montana Department of Revenue. Businesses whose equipment is destroyed may also qualify.

The tax relief is prorated based on the number of days the property is unusable. The assistance is available for the current tax year.

To apply, property owners need to complete Form AB-25. Forest land owners should do Form AB-26.

Application forms are available at all Department of Revenue local offices and on the department’s website at revenue.mt.gov. You can find the department’s local office contacts, phone numbers and addresses for your area at http://revenue.mt.gov/property-assessment.

For more information, property owners can contact their local Department of Revenue office or the call the center at 406-444-6900, or visit revenue.mt.gov.