Fire engulfs, destroys garage

Star Staff
Monday, July 8, 2019
Article Image Alt Text

SUBMITTED PHOTO/Brian Miller, Bar T 3 Photography
A firefighter works to put out a garage fire on July 4 that was caused by fireworks. The fire is estimated to have caused $100,000 worth of damage.

Late on the evening of July 4 the Miles City Fire Rescue (MCFR) responded to a fire call.

At 11:44 p.m. the fire department responded to a garage fire.

According to a news release, the garage was fully engulfed and nearby structures were threatened.

The cause of the fire has been determined to have been fireworks related.

The fire was contained to the garage and is estimated to have caused $100,000 worth of damage.

According to the news release, there were no injures to civilians or any of the firefighters.

MCFR and the Custer County Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire. There were three fire engines, one ladder truck, two water tenders, two ambulances and two command vehicles at the scene.

In a previous news release, MCFR provided some fireworks safety tips to keep in mind every July 4.

— Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.

— Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.

— Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities.

— Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting all fireworks.

— Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.

— Never point or throw fireworks at anyone or anything.

— Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.

— Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.

— Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.

— After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.

— Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.