Dec. 5 Entertainment Briefs

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Apollo Theater plans to build new performance spaces

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City’s Apollo Theater plans to build two new performance spaces to incubate works by up-and-coming artists. Executives at the Harlem institution say the new Apollo Performing Arts Center will feature one space with 99 seats and another with 199. The New York Times reports the work is part of the redevelopment of the nearby state-owned Victoria Theater. Apollo Theater Foundation President Jonelle Procope is declining to give cost details but says much of the project’s capital comes from fundraising efforts. Officials say programing at the Apollo’s main stage will not be affected by construction on the new spaces, which are due to open in 2020. Ella Fitzgerald, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Aretha Franklin and many other stars have graced the stage of the venerated theater.

Bruce Springsteen: No tour with E Street band in 2019

NEW YORK (AP) — Bruce Springsteen will not be touring with the E Street Band in 2019. Springsteen on Tuesday posted on Twitter that they hope to be back soon. But The Boss says he wants a break after his “Springsteen on Broadway” show wraps up on Dec. 15 and he’s working on various recording projects. Springsteen says members of the band are out performing with their own projects and deserve support. Springsteen wished his fans “Happy Holidays!”

Philip Bosco, Tony-winning actor, dies at 88

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Philip Bosco, the Tony Awardwinning actor known for his roles in films “Working Girl” and “The Savages,” has died. He was 88. The actor’s daughter, Celia Bosco, said her father died Monday night at his home in Haworth, New Jersey. She says her father had complications with dementia, which is commonly caused by Alzheimer’s disease. Bosco was a Broadway veteran who won a Tony Award in 1989 for best actor for his role as the head of an opera company in the comedy “Lend Me a Tenor.” He received nominations for his performances in “The Rape of the Belt,” ‘’Heartbreak House,” ‘’You Never Can Tell” and “Moon Over Buffalo.” Bosco also starred in a 2004 production of “Twelve Angry Men.” Before acting, Bosco worked in a carnival as a trailer truck driver.

Netflix maintains high-priced relationship with ‘Friends’

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Netflix will still be there for fans of the old TV series “Friends,” but maintaining the relationship will come at a steep price. The video streaming service paid $100 million to keep showing “Friends” in the U.S. through 2019, according to a report in the New York Times . That’s more than triple the $30 million a year Netflix had been paying for the long-running TV series about six 20-something friends in New York. The report cited two unidentified people with direct knowledge of Netflix’s deal with the series’ rights holder, AT&T.Netflix tweeted that it will continue showing “Friends,” but didn’t disclose financial details. The Los Gatos, California, company declined further comment Tuesday. Netflix’s willingness to pay so much for a series that ended in 2004 is the latest sign of intensifying competition in video streaming.

Actor-comedian Kevin Hart will host 2019 Oscars

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Kevin Hart has a new job — he will host the 2019 Academy Awards, a role the prolific actor-comedian says fulfills a longtime dream. Hart announced his selection for the 91st Oscars in an Instagram statement Tuesday. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences followed up with a tweet that welcomed him “to the family.” The announcement came hours after trade publication The Hollywood Reporter posted a story calling the Oscars host position “the least wanted job in Hollywood.” Hart clearly doesn’t feel that way, writing on Instagram that it has been on his list of dream jobs for years. The 2019 Oscars will be broadcast Feb. 24 on ABC. “I am blown away simply because this has been a goal on my list for a long time...To be able to join the legendary list of host that have graced this stage is unbelievable,” Hart wrote. “I know my mom is smiling from ear to ear right now.

Cohen Media Group purchases Landmark Theatre chain

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An Oscar-winning production and distribution company is getting into the movie theater business. Representatives from the Cohen Media Group say Tuesday the company has purchased Landmark Theatres, the nation’s largest independent theater chain. Landmark Theatres has 252 screens in 27 cities and has been under the ownership of Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban’s 2929 Entertainment since 2003. CMG has been behind such Oscar-nominated and winning films as “The Salesman” and “Faces Places.” CMG founder Charles S. Cohen said in a statement that he admired the way Landmark has evolved to fit the changing independent film landscape. Cohen said the theatrical chain is a good fit with the CMG business , one of which restores classic films like the Merchant Ivory collection and the Buster Keaton catalog.